Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Simple Truth

I was having a conversation with a good friend the other day about the difference between what I believe as a Christian, and what other religions believe. I honestly can't debate the differences because I don't know all that there is to know about what others believe. But I know what I believe.

What I believe is not a religion, a list of do's and don'ts, or narrow minded. What I live brings real results, real fulfilment, and is the real truth. I share it with you not to earn any points or gain any gift or promise. It doesn't work that way. I only share it with you that you might also believe. Your belief or unbelief does not get me a greater spot in heaven, nor points among my peers.

Hear my heart.

I only share with you this Good News, because I love you, my God loves you, and we want every good thing for you.

And so, here it is, the simple truth.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth (believes the truth) comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God. (John 3:16-21)

God did not send His son Jesus into this world to condemn you. He was not a self righteous man who came to impose His own self righteous ideals on others. Jesus, was God, in a fleshly human body. He came to this earth, as a real man, to teach people the truth, and lead them to God. He came, He was killed, and God made Him alive again, fo YOU.

Why would He give His life to lead you to God? Let me put it this way- "Why Not??". God created you. Why would he want to lose you? He doesn't! He wants to be WITH YOU! If you are a parent, or want to be a parent, would you decide to have children only to lose them to death, never having the opportunity to know them, to see their first steps, to watch them sleep, to hold them close? No! If you chose to bring life into this world it is because you want to LOVE that life! God gave you life because He wanted there to be a YOU, and to love you!

We are made right in God's sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard. Yet now God in his gracious kindness declares us not guilty. He has done this through Christ Jesus, who has freed us by taking away our sins. (Romans 3:22-24)

All have sinned...do you struggle with this because you have never done something as drastic as murder? Let me share with you what the Biblical definition of sin is, based on the Greek Word used in the Bible-

to miss the mark
to err, be mistaken
to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong
to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin

I've certainly missed the mark many times in my life. I have been mistaken. I have done wrong. I have sinned.

God is without sin, and when we sin, we separate ourselves from relationship with Him. But because He loves us, He provides a way back into relationship with Him. And here is the simple truth. If you choose to believe in Jesus Christ, that He is the Son of God, and tell God that you have missed the mark in life and you are sorry, He will make you right and bring you into relationship with Himself.

This is where it really gets good my friend.

I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the wonderful future he has promised to those he called. I want you to realize what a rich and glorious inheritance he has given to his people. I pray that you will begin to understand the incredible greatness of his power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 1:18-20 NLV)

God has an inheritance for you here on this earth, and in heaven. A glorious inheritance! And power! The same power that raised Jesus from the dead. He wants to be a part of your daily life. He wants to lift your burdens, walk with you through your struggles. As a human, you will still struggle with missing the mark, but you are made right through your belief in Jesus.

Gods Word, the Bible, is truth. It is the only truth. Other religions add to it and take away from it. Or use pieces of it, while changing parts to say what they want them to say. But it is clearly stated in the Bible: "Every word of God is true. He guards those who come to him for safety. Do not add to his words, or he will correct you and prove you are a liar." (Proverbs 30:5-6) And- "I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone removes any of the words of this prophetic book, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book." (Revelation 22:18-19)

I challenge you to read the Bible, God's Word, and learn the simple truth. When you accept Jesus, you are guaranteed entrance into heaven, along with many blessings here on earth. You are not told to achieve any sort of points by things you do or don't do. You don't have to do any sort of ritual to maintain your salvation. You are accepted, redeemed from sin, and brought into an eternal relationship with God.

And that my friend, is the simple truth.

-Megan

1 comments:

Mindi Hoellein said...

Thanks for posting this, yet again! I have been struggling with explaining to my husband (who is not yet a believer) that having Christ in your life, trusting him and only him for your salvation is NOT a religion. This post has helped me a great deal. Thanks again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails